PSA: We are winding operations down to focus on GamingOnLinux. This site was a fun idea, but time is short and GamingOnLinux is more important.
hello, and my computer history :P -
lucinos commented on 20 April 2017 at 7:02 am UTC

hi!

note: this is "my" computer history, of course not "the" computer history. [It is also not completely precise.]

I will mostly write it as notes.

80s
computer: zx spectrum, 8-bit
monitor: TV (and yes, it had colour)
storage: tapes

I remember gaming and learning some sinclair basic siting on floor at the living room.
No other people I knew had any computer.

until early 90s
computer: pc, 16-bit
monitor: CGA/Hercules, no colour just ugly orange
sound: primitive computer beeps
storage: hard disk, floppy 3.5'' and floppy 5.25''
mouse: no!

Very few people I knew had now a computer. Many computers had no hard disk. A friend had a much better computer with nice graphics and colour.
I saw the internet once.
I knew the existence of unix as a legendary way better os but never seen it (unless you count Jurassic park movie)

middle 90s
cpu: 80386 (32-bit)
monitor: vga, yes colour again!
sound: yes!
storage: hard disk, floppy 3.5'', cd-rom (not very common)
mouse: yes

windows 3.1 also were quite popular. I did not see any point using them.

late 90s - early 00s
cpu: pentium 1
internet: yes, had the beatiful spectrum tape music
storage: hard disk, floppy 3.5'' (already getting more and more rare), cd-rom (very common now, cd-write did exist I think and later dvd but I do not remember having one), usb-1 sticks (strangely this was still quite rare, my computer was the only one that old I know that had usb!)

middle 00s
monitor: high definition, still CRT
distro: mandrake, PCLOS
de: kde
internet: still slow
storage: hard disk, floppy 3.5'', cd-wr, dvd-rom (if I remember write I could not still write on dvd), usb-2 was now faster and very common.

Linux was introduced to me as a unix system (or unix substitute). That was a legendary name I had not hear for a long time. I was using it mainly for gcc and playing a lot of ksokoban.

late 00s
monitor: LCD (did not buy new computer, just new monitor. Was not really better than the CRT just taking a lot less space and making parents less waring about "radiation".
distro: ubuntu
de: gnome
internet: fast at last

having fast internet made _THE_ big difference for me as a linux user and made it possible for me to consider just using it as my main os. Also it happened that I had problems with windows and since I already had a linux that was doing anything I needed I just forgot about windows.

early 10s
cpu: 64-bit
distro: ubuntu, mint
de: gnome, xfce, mate

using linux was now a "conscious" choice.

2013 -
distro: manjaro, arch
de: xfce, kde

for many years already I was only playing free games, browser games and retro games (scummvm, dosbox). Steam is coming on linux and is changing that... Not using windows for so many years means that I have no windows ties.

oldrocker99 commented on 20 April 2017 at 6:45 pm UTC

1983: VIC-20
1984: C=64
1987:Amiga 1000
1989: Amiga 500
1994: PC with MS-DOS
1995: PC with Win95
1998: Win98
2000: Windows Millenium
2008: Ubuntu 8.04
2009: New PC with Win7, double-booted for a while, then said "to hell with it" and deep-sixed my Windows partition in 2013. 100% Linux ever since!

lucinos commented on 26 April 2017 at 9:31 pm UTC

Two details. I played the first time The Secret of Monkey Island, on that old computer with that horrible monitor no sound and without mouse... (first think I did on next computer was to play again Monkey Island)

When I said that I first hear linux (as a unix substitude) that was a few years before I had linux installed on my computer. Back then I was still on my old Pentium 1, using Win9x and I was also refusing to abandon ms-dos...

oldrocker991983: VIC-20
1984: C=64
1987:Amiga 1000
1989: Amiga 500
nice
in my view Commodore and Amiga is a lot more important in home computer history than Apple and Macintosh
2000: Windows Millenium
2008: Ubuntu 8.04
Have you forgotten WinXP??? Or you are so unfortunate. Also WinME is unsupported from Win9x since 2006 and were already not well supported for years.

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts